At Bossa Nova we create service robots for the global retail industry. Our robots’ mission is to make stores run efficiently by automating the collection and analysis of on-shelves inventory data in large scale stores. Navigating smoothly along the aisles, we circulate autonomously among busy customers and employees. If we were a self- driving car we’d be operating at level 5 autonomy. Yep, it is possible to move, scan and analyze all at the same time. It is not that simple though and we rely on computer vision, 3D image processing and deep learning techniques to accomplish our mission.
Oh, we should add, it’s real, happening today, you can meet our robots in some of the world’s biggest retailers.
Position: Robot Hacker
Location: Mountain View or San Francisco
As a Robotics Application Engineer at Bossa Nova, you are the primary link between the development and deployment teams working with a leading-edge autonomous robotic system. You’ll apply your expertise in software and hardware systems to diagnose issues and develop potential solutions with the entire dev team for said issues.
- Understand the Bossa Nova robots from a full system-level perspective down to the functions of individual components. The knowledge base will extend across both hardware and software
- Act as the face of hardware engineering to internal support organizations and be the ingress point for field support issues
- Quickly locate and characterize issues reported by field operations
- Communicate with mechanical, electrical, and software engineering teams to identify and resolve complex robotic problems.
- Work with Project Management to coordinate engineering response and corrective actions for critical issues
- Gather and organize field experience to feed into the development of next-generation robot systems.
- Collaborate with field operations in issue reporting, diagnostic techniques and robot troubleshooting.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
- Deep experience with at least one of the following disciplines: electrical engineering, software or firmware. Some understanding of mechanical system integration is a plus
- Understanding of the OSI model
- Comfortable in Linux, command line interfaces and scripting languages
- Ability to work effectively in a startup environment
- Experience with ROS a plus
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in a STEM field
- 2+ years of engineering experience