At Bossa Nova we create service robots for the global retail industry. Our robots’ mission is to make large scale stores run efficiently by automating the collection and analysis of on-shelf inventory data. We drive autonomously through aisles, navigating safely among customers and store associates. If we were a self- driving car we’d be operating at level 5 autonomy.
Oh, we should add, it’s real, happening today, you can meet our robots in some of the world’s biggest retailers.
Position: Sr. Firmware Engineer
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
As a senior firmware engineer at Bossa Nova, you are responsible for the development and testing of the firmware for our embedded control boards. These boards are the nerves of our robot - they manage the propulsion, power systems, cameras and sensors, temperature control, safety systems, and even human-robot interaction. You’ll be working with and across all the engineering disciplines at play in the development and production of a complex robotic system (mechanical and electrical engineering, safety, manufacturing, software and firmware engineering).
- Work with the hardware team in the specification, and design of Bossa Nova’s production level robot
- Work with the software team to architect the data interface between software and robot hardware.
- Develop firmware for Bossa Nova’s embedded control boards (STM32 and Cypress PSoC microcontrollers) in C and C++
- Develop and extend build tools and utilities in Python. Contribute to the design of test and manufacturing frameworks for our embedded boards.
- Provide technical leadership to the firmware team and to the hardware team as a whole.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
- A track record of producing high quality design and code.
- Solid collaboration skills and a history of working across multiple disciplines (and teams).
- Strong analytical skills and decision-making capabilities.
- Ability to work effectively in a startup environment.
- Experience working with embedded boards (with and without an RTOS) and using standard embedded development tools - oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, JTAG, etc.
- Plus - frameworks for the test and validation of embedded systems
- Plus - experience with CAN/CANopen (or other automation-related protocols)
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree or Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering/Computer Science or equivalent experience.
- 4+ years of engineering experience