Bossa Nova is the leading provider of real-time, on-shelf product data for the global retail industry. Our robots navigate the busy retail ecosystem, collecting a wealth of data that allows retailers to improve product availability, streamline operations, and create a better shopping experience. Our multidisciplinary team of robotics, artificial intelligence, and big data scientists has solved the challenges to deploy fully autonomous retail service robots and deliver actionable data in real-time.
Bossa Nova’s robots are currently deployed in 50 stores across the United States, making it the largest deployment of this kind of technology anywhere in the world.
Position: Principal Engineer Robotics
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Bossa Nova Robotics, Inc. seeks a Principal Engineer Robotics in Pittsburgh, PA, responsible for developing and deploying cutting-edge autonomous robotics systems through the application of hardware and software systems methodologies.
- Leading the development of scalable robotic applications, autonomy algorithms and capabilities which span across multiple domains within robotics
- Writing code in C++/Python for general project needs, writing code in C++/Python within the Robot Operating System(ROS) framework for controlling robot navigation and reporting and determining robot position, implementing software in compliance with associated designs and policies
- Using UML, creating designs for class hierarchy and inter-system dependencies to be used by the team as the template for creating production software
- Reviewing and approving hardware and firmware selection for production and test systems, communicating the cost/benefit trade-offs when selecting components for current and future hardware designs
- Guiding and mentoring engineering teams tasked with creating ROS nodes, action servers, action clients, and supporting code to help them understand company and industry best practices
- Predicting outcome of incorporating new software developments into the system, working with software engineers to design and use simulations and experiments, simulating scenarios using tools such as Gazebo and Stage
- Evaluating new technologies with the aim of integrating those useful to the company, formulating and communicating the trade-offs when shifting from existing tools, technologies and practices to new paradigms
- Communicating with stakeholders throughout the company regarding the selection of technologies, state of development and needs of end-users
- Directing the research team towards establishing long term research problems and collaborating with them on building solutions.
Must have a Master’s degree in Robotics.
Must know (from any completed university-level coursework, seminars, workshops, or real-world, hands-on experience):
- Standard algorithms in planning, navigation, perception, mapping and/or localization and libraries/repositories that implement them
- Reviewing and writing production-level C++ using C++11 and C++14 language features
- STL, Boost, protobuf, thrift libraries for C++ development
- Reviewing and producing production-level Python code
- ROS, PCL and associate libraries and tools
- UML, Stage, Gazebo, Git, Make, CMake, Bazel, Docker, STL, Boost, SDB, GProf, SLAM perception and Catkin
- Perception sensors such as Camera, Time of Flight sensors, Lidars, IMUs from a data-sheet up perspective.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as lunches twice a week, schedule flexibility, a stocked fridge and kitchen.
Bossa Nova Robotics provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Bossa Nova abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Apply at: https://bossanovarobotics.applytojob.com/apply/.