Bossa Nova is the leading provider of real-time, on-shelf product data for the global retail industry. Our robots navigate the busy retail ecosystem, collecting a wealth of data that allows retailers to improve product availability, streamline operations, and create a better shopping experience. Our multidisciplinary team of robotics, artificial intelligence, and big data scientists has solved the challenges to deploy fully autonomous retail service robots and deliver actionable data in real-time.
Bossa Nova’s robots are currently deployed in 50 stores across the United States, making it the largest deployment of this kind of technology anywhere in the world.
Position: SLAM Engineer
Location: Mountain View, CA
Be a part of a team creating the software running on our robots across the globe, solving difficult problems requiring creativity, persistence and technical know-how not found in a run-of-the-mill software engineering job. Our robots work in retail stores, alongside shoppers, employees, carts and obstructions of all sorts while collecting data -- unthinkable five years ago, imagine what we’ll be doing in the next decade!
Responsibilities and Duties
- Deliver high-quality code. Our customers depend on our robots working flawlessly. We want an engineer who's comfortable working on a team deeply focused on doing things right.
- Love our customers! Our customers depend on Bossa Nova to increase the competitiveness of their business in an already competitive market. Our team members need to know and understand our customers to best solve their problems.
- Help the team grow. Bossa Nova is growing! Our processes and practices will change as we continue to expand, we need people comfortable shaping how we work and serve our customers.
Qualifications and Skills
- C/C++ engineer with 2+ years experience who knows Python. Writes and debugs production-quality code in ROS environment. We’re doing a mix of clean-sheet development, re-architecture of existing systems and fixing field issues. For C++, we take advantage of the newest features in C++ 11 and C++ 14 to produce clean, modular code.
- SLAM. Our robots navigate daily in retail spaces presenting the extra challenge of navigating in an environment with fewer landmarks than most other indoor robot deployments. Operating in the general public keeps our costmap active.
- Experience with sensors. Bossa Nova robots depend on a variety of sensors to stay on track, we need a team member who understands LiDAR, IMU and even rotary encoders. If you’ve tuned a Kalman filter, we need to talk.
- Embraces testing. We test our code using Stage for simulation and our fleet of testing robots. Our engineers need to know how to think ahead and design and write code that can be tested without human intervention.
- Linux development. We work on Linux and so do our robots; our engineers need to be comfortable with this environment from a developer and user perspective.
- Problem solving. We’re blazing trails at Bossa Nova, we’ll need our engineers to think creatively to solve difficult problems arising from the scale of operation not found elsewhere in the robotics industry.
- Enjoys working on a team. Software’s a team effort, we’re looking for people who like working with others, sharing expertise with peers, listening to our users and communicating with our stakeholders.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as lunches twice a week, schedule flexibility, a stocked fridge and kitchen.
Bossa Nova Robotics provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Bossa Nova abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.