At Bossa Nova we create service robots for the global retail industry. Our robots’ mission is to make large scale stores run efficiently by automating the collection and analysis of on-shelf inventory data. We drive autonomously through aisles, navigating safely among customers and store associates. If we were a self- driving car we’d be operating at level 5 autonomy.
Oh, we should add, it’s real, happening today, you can meet our robots in some of the world’s biggest retailers.
Position: Safety Compliance and Reliability Engineer
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
As a part of the Bossa Nova Compliance and Reliability team, you are responsible for testing the durability and reliability of Bossa Nova’s robots. To achieve that, we partner with multiple engineering teams from the beginning (concept) to the end (field returns) of a product life cycle, while exploring new technologies and understanding how customers will use our products.
- Based on knowledge of Robotics Industry Test Standards (IEC, ISO, ASTM), provide testing recommendations for product reliability and testing standards.
- Based on knowledge of the Machinery Directive and ANSI Robotic Standards, guide cross-functional design team for excellence of design. Guide design and interacting with diverse groups to improve robot safety and reliability
- Assist the team with the Risk Analysis process. Help out with the FMEA process for various aspects of design.
- Manage scheduling, availability and quotation process with Agencies like UL, TUV process with NRTL labs to promote robot safety, EMI/EMC and other reliability testing
- Perform reliability testing including Mechanical Stress Tests, Shock, Drop, Vibration and Environmental Testing. Preparing concise and detailed test plans and reports. Conduct Failure Analysis using analytical techniques and methodology to derive root cause analysis.
- Collaborate on determining the root cause of a production outage, then pinpoint tests that need to be added to prevent similar outages in the future.
- Typically requires 3-5 years of experience in testing. Testing in Safety Compliance and/or Product Reliability testing for complex electronics product development preferred.
- Ability to automate a variety of manual testing processes.
- Basic programming skills and ability to learn new languages is a must.
- Knowledge in Python preferred.
- Knowledge of Safety and Wireless Regulatory Requirements - EMI/EMC
- Data analysis and reporting abilities (Google Docs, Weibull ++, JMP)
- Solid understanding of mechanical assemblies
- Understanding of Electrical concepts is required
- Application of FMEA (Failure Modes and Effects Analysis)
- Confident with navigating ambiguity and creating new ways of doing things
- Experience in working in a dynamic engineering environment with real-time crisis management skills.
- Experience in agency compliance testing and submission.
- Experience in bug management system such as Jira, and other project management tools like Confluence, Asana, etc.