At Bossa Nova we create service robots for the global retail industry. Our robots’ mission is to make stores run efficiently by automating the collection and analysis of on-shelves inventory data in large scale stores. Navigating smoothly along the aisles, we circulate autonomously among busy customers and employees. If we were a self- driving car we’d be operating at level 5 autonomy. Yep, it is possible to move, scan and analyze all at the same time. It is not that simple though and we rely on computer vision, 3D image processing and deep learning techniques to accomplish our mission.
Oh, we should add, it’s real, happening today, you can meet our robots in some of the world’s biggest retailers.
Position: Firmware Architect
Location: Mountain View, CA
As a firmware architect at Bossa Nova, you are responsible for all aspects of our firmware systems - hardware evaluation and selection; firmware philosophy and architecture; interface design between firmware and robotics software. You’ll be outlining a vision for how the hardware and software components of our robot interact
- Define the evolutionary path for the firmware and its interface with the both the hardware and the robotics software.
- Provide technical leadership to the hardware engineering team
- Work closely with management and senior engineering staff to help determine the technical direction for the company
- Mentor more junior members of the firmware team
- Act as a technical evangelist within the company and promote seamless integration of the software, firmware, and hardware that make up our robot.
- Identify industry best practices for software/firmware development and implement them within the firmware team.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
- A track record of producing solid software architecture, design, and code.
- Solid collaboration skills and a history of working across multiple disciplines (and teams).
- Strong analytical skills and decision-making capabilities.
- Ability to work effectively in a startup environment.
- Architecture of frameworks for the test and validation of embedded systems
- Plus - experience with CAN/CANopen (or other automation-related protocols)
- Plus - prior experience with developing robotic architectures (hardware and software)
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree or Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science
- 8+ years of engineering experience