At Bossa Nova we create service robots for the global retail industry. Our robots’ mission is to make large scale stores run efficiently by automating the collection and analysis of on-shelf inventory data. We drive autonomously through aisles, navigating safely among customers and store associates. If we were a self- driving car we’d be operating at level 5 autonomy.
Oh, we should add, it’s real, happening today, you can meet our robots in some of the world’s biggest retailers.
Position: Compute Systems Lead
Location: Mountain View, CA
Reporting to the VP of Hardware, the Compute Systems Lead will be responsible for the next generation compute system for our autonomous robot. The Compute Systems Lead will develop a compute system to meet the performance requirements of various subsystems such as the imaging systems, navigational sensors, motor controllers, 10gig switches, embedded controller boards, safety system, remote monitoring system and wireless gateway.
- Responsible for the overall compute system by generating architecture, developing functional spec, evaluating technologies, assessing cross-functional computational and data needs, designing a multi-PC system, prototyping design assumptions, integrating results from Design Validation testing and debugging design issues for robot deployment.
- Collaborate with cross functional teams such as Software, Product Management, Business, Operations to establish performance level and product needs. Identify performance metrics and bottlenecks such as motherboard, CPU, GPU, sensors, memory, I/O, power and thermal.
- Work within the Hardware team to contribute to the engineering development process. Engage with HW disciplines such as Mechanical, Embedded Systems, Firmware, Design Validation, Safety and Compliance
- Collaborate with the next generation Advanced Robotics team on Bossnova's current and forward looking compute architecture roadmap
- Work with senior engineering leadership to advocate and drive high quality engineering through design diligence, code reviews and test automation
- Work with the Design Validation team on rigorous environmental tests to cover all operating corner cases such as temperature, voltage, and clock. Assist with the performance of reliability analysis such as MTBF, FMEA, and SPOF
- Design under the guidelines to ensure product is manufacturable at low cost and can scale in higher volume
Education, Knowledge, Experience:
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering required. Master's degree a plus
- At least 8 years of experience with x86, ARM, GPU architectures and design experiences
- Participated in BIOS development for x86 platform, and familiar with debugging and bring-up issues. Understand multi-socket/thread operation, CPU performance, and peripheral initialization sequences
- Working knowledge with high speed network systems such as Gigabit Ethernet. Familiar with the networking OSI layers such as MAC, PHY, and optical interfaces
- Have used high speed test equipment to debug design issues such as kernel panic, packet loss, system performance issues, and reliability failures
- Assist with manufacturing assembly, test, and system integration
- Experience with Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence knowledge would be a plus
- Familiar with industry standard design process requirements for volume manufacturing and tests such as SMT, 5DX, AOI, ICT, DFM analysis, burn-in, and sensor calibrations in the factory